The Association of Parents of Mentally Retarded Children is working for adult
mentally retarded. Association has built up residential complex named ‘ADHAR’
on a 5-acre plot in a beautiful rural setting at Thakurwadi, Mulgaon at a distance
of 9 km. from Badlapur (C.R.) Station in Thane District and on 3 acre healthy ,
clean & clear natural atmosphere at Pimpalgaon (Dukra) in Nashik District of Maharashtra.
ADHAR is the first institute in India of its type where we are taking responsibility of
lifelong care and protection of adult mentally retarded children. It works in the spirit of
Trusteeship and is managed by the Board of Trustees in which 7 out of 9 are parents.
At present we have 242 M.R children (male & female) under our care. Adhar is
providing them lifelong care, training and rehabilitation facilities with the help of
Psychologist, Psychiatrist, Physio Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Medical Officers,
Social Workers, Special Teachers, Care Takers and other Office Staff.
In the year 1990, around 25 parents of mentally challenged children came together
under the leadership of Shri M. G. Gore to find out a permanent solution for their
constant worry of “After us what? Who will take care of their special child?”
Thus Adhar Badlapur was born with the concept of residential institution taking lifelong
care and rehabilitation of special children for the benefit of parents and their children.
Adhar does not get any grant or aid from the government. It runs on parents’
contributions and donations. Since its inception, Adhar has been extending financial
subsidy to the parents depending on their economic conditions. The average age of the
inmates is about 45 yrs and average age of parents is around 70 yrs, which means that
the parents’ contribution will reduce in future as they get older.
We believe that the growth of ADHAR to the present position was possible only through
the personal interest ‘people’ have taken in it. We are grateful to each one of them for
their spirit of sharing for the welfare of the Mentally Retarded. We would like to nurture
it for the holistic development of ADHAR.
WHAT IS ADHAR ?
• Association of Parents – Public Charitable Trust
• Humble Beginning in the year 1990 under Leadership Of “Late Shri M. G. Gore”.
• 25-30 Parents came together to find out permanent solution to their worry ‘After us what?”
• Managing 2 Residential Institutions (Badlapur for Last 20 Years and Nashik for last 1 year)
• Catering 237 (181 Male & 56 Female) Mentally Challenged Adults
• It provides physical, financial as well as psychological relief to parents
Worry of Old Parents of Mentally Retarded Adults “After Me, Who will Look after my Child?”
ROLE OF ADHAR
• Help Parents to take Decision - Emotional & Financial Settlement
• Set-up Life Long Care taking Residential Institution
• Continuous Infrastructure Development
• Financial Sustainability through Donations
• Continuous Motivation & Training of Staff
A Life Long Care taking Residential Institution helps Parents from their Worry
What makes ADHAR Different ?
• Probably biggest institution in India for Mentally Challenged Adults. Considering the no. of inmates & facilities offered for 20 years
• Its Group Home not hostel. No Vacations. Runs 24 X 7 (365 days of year).
• High Level of Involvement of Parents. 7 out of 9 Trustees are Parent / Guardian.
• Services to all Categories of Mental Retardation i.e Profound, Severe, moderate, Mild.
• No religion & Caste Bar
• Financially - runs on Parents contribution & Donations. No Govt. Grant or Aid.
Mentally Challenged People – Social Impact
• It is One of the Most Neglected Area for Help from Society & Government compared to other Disabilities
• More than 15 Lakh Mentally Challenged People in India and More than 2 Lakh in Maharashtra
• Mental Retardation has No Solution in Medical Science
• No Special Schools / Facilities available for Mentally Challenged Adults